Who is eligible for participation in VCU Leadership?
Any current or emerging leader at VCU who represent the academic and administrative departments of the University and the VCU Health System is eligible for nomination from their dean or vice president. This includes: administrative faculty, classified staff, teaching, and research faculty, hourly employees, law enforcement, clinical faculty, and professional faculty.
What is the value of VCU Leadership to tenured/tenure track faculty members?
The program focus is on providing participants with conceptual information, practical applications, and a variety of methods for enhancing their performance. VCU Leadership is designed to address six priorities aligned with the University’s vision for leadership:
- Personal Development - participants improve leadership skills, behaviors, competencies, and practices through personal development and feedback.
- Professional Development - aligned with personal development; participants examine the ways in which their individual styles and behaviors impact their colleagues and workplace environment.
- University INsight - participants gain a greater commitment to sustaining an organizational climate at the university that is focused on quality, responsiveness, and inclusion. University leaders participate in the program as presenters and discussants.
- Higher Education OUTlook - participants gain a greater understanding of higher education in the state and nationally.
- Team Project - participants develop a project where they work in assigned teams to address issues of current importance to the University community that align with the University’s strategic plan.
- Formal Mentorship - participants are paired with a mentor from senior level administration.
What is the application process?
To apply, participants need to submit a completed online application form, current position description, personal statement, curriculum vitae, bio sketch, one nomination from a dean/vice president, and two recommendations from supervisor and/or colleague. All required documents should be submitted by October 15th each year. Applications can be found on our website at http://gehli.vcu.edu/programs/vcu-leadership-development/application/.
How many sessions are offered and when are they scheduled?
VCU Leadership is a ten month program starting in January and ending in October. On average, participants meet for two consecutive sessions (Thursday and Friday) once a month. Typically, each session starts at 8:30 a.m. and ends by 5:00 p.m.
What is the cost of the program and what is included?
The program cost is $3425. This fee covers all program costs including program materials, intensive leadership assessments, overnight retreat lodging, and meals on program days. Participants are accepted based on a nomination from the head of their sponsoring academic or administrative department.
Does The Grace E. Harris Leadership Institute offer scholarships to cover the tuition for the program?
The Institute does not provide individual financial support.
Are applicants required to be nominated by a dean or vice president?
Yes, participants are accepted based on a nomination from the head of their sponsoring academic or administrative department.
Do participants receive credits that they can later transfer to a post-secondary institution?
No, we do not offer academic credit for participating in VCU Leadership.
Do participants receive continuing education credit?
Yes, participants can earn continuing education units for full program participation, but participants must express their interest in obtaining these at the start of the program and must actively participate throughout the duration of the program.